Locals probably know the Grange best for its crowded Pancake Breakfast, occurring every 1st Sunday of the Month. In the lobby area we were entertained by live accordion music while we browsed a large display of gently used stuffed animals, handicrafts and homemade preserves for sale. We waited for a good half hour before we were seated at long cafeteria style tables for our expeditious serving of pancakes, eggs, ham and coffee. I’ve definitely had better (and less heart-attack inducing) breakfasts, but you really couldn’t beat the price, and a heaping serving of Americana.
I discovered that the old building, located 6 miles north of Fort Bragg held a lot more than flapjacks and teddy bears. The historical building used to be Inglenooks 2-room school house and the building and the artifacts inside hold a lot of history.
Now, it is a facility and an organization that aims to serve the community; whether it be pancakes and slabs of ham, or a variety of classes workshops or scholarships to high school grads or families in need. If you don’t already, get to know the Grange. In changing times, its becoming more important to learn (or re-learn) how to live a little differently, to collaborate and to enjoy meals together. The Grange provides a venue to do all of that – and much more.
Today’s Events! Saturday, July 17: Grange Work Day & BBQ. Work from 10am-2:30pm, BBQ to follow.
Mark your calendars for these ongoing events, and be sure to check out our events calendar:
1) Community breakfast on the 1st Sunday of each month 8-11:30.
2) Food Canning classes once a month.
3) Belly Dancing Class with Tribal Fusion every Monday at 7pm. All ages, sizes and levels are welcome. Contact Lavender Dawn for info at (707)964-5135
4) Yoga Stretch classes every Tuesday at 9:30 am. $5/session. Bring a towel or mat.
5) Craft Classes – 3rd Tuesday of every month. Next class: July 20, 2010, 10:30-3:30. Bring scissors, pins and a lunch. Material to fuse towel appliques supplied.
If you would like to volunteer for the breakfasts, inquire about selling handicrafts, become a member or ask questions about any of the above programs, please call: 707-272-3267 OR 707-964-5141.
Fort Bragg Grange, #672, 26500 North Highway 1, Fort Bragg, California